On this day the Lord has made . . .

As I was driving home from the grocery store I heard a man on the radio ask what we were leaving our children/grandchildren. He mentioned how he would choose, over any amount of money, the writings from his grandfather . . . if he had left any.

So, I have determined to create a diary/journal of what happened to me on this day(s) the Lord has granted me.







Sunday, January 4, 2015

writing course in October 2015

I just applied for a writing course for a news organization. They asked for writing examples and I sent them to my blog. How crazy am I?!? I don't even use complete sentences. I don't even use complete thoughts!

http://www.worldji.com/programs/apply/62

http://www.worldmag.com/2014/12/three_opportunities_for_the_resolute

But, writing is something I enjoy so very much and most people find me entertaining (usually). How much eye rolling goes on while reading I'll never know as I rarely watch someone read.

Here is my answers to their questions:



My parents were partiers that had seven children between them that other people raised. Luckily, we were farmed between family members, and even luckier, was that those family members were Christians. So I grew up hearing and feeling God. I can remember one time when my brothers and I were all alone, there was a storm. We were huddled under a dining room table and I told the boys that Jesus was watching over us. I always knew He was there. Growing up I worried about being a good example to others, can you tell I was the oldest child?

Well, good example until I had my own children, then I fell, hard. I didn’t raise my children in the church. We went to church sometimes but since my husband didn’t want to go I finally just quit going. My children didn’t get to grow up knowing God like I did.

One day, not too long ago, I realized that I missed hearing the name, Jesus. I missed talking about Jesus. I missed Jesus. Standing by my dresser I said all of this out loud and I asked Jesus to become my life. Slowly, this is exactly what happened. I started hearing the name, Jesus all around me. I started listening to Christian radio and I noticed that the guy who sat next to me was a Christian, and then I heard that my work had a Bible study at lunch on Thursdays. Not too long ago my daughter said that I have changed, and I have.
My work experiences have been as versatile as child care, to teaching special education in an inner city school, to working as a drafter at an engineering firm building substations. My love is writing for my church, my study group and my grandchildren.
 


 


What do I want to do with the rest of my life? Well, I’m only 55 and I’m not sure I can say everything I want to do in 300 words. I grew up in a non-denominational church (Disciples of Christ). I was okay with them until it started to bother me how easy they said being a Christian was. Now don’t get upset with me. I’m sure I’m saying this all wrong. As an example, we started having astrologers come in, and speakers from other religions (not just denominations). The final straw for me was a prayer where the preacher said something about “God who has birthed us from his womb”. It took everything I had to not run out of the building.
A friend kept talking about how she was Episcopalian until they became so liberal. She kept lamenting the fact that she loved the services. I finally challenged her and said to find it and I’ll go with you. She found Trinity Anglican Parish. At Trinity I feel as if I am worshipping God. The services follow the Book of Common Prayer. We stand to sing, we sit to listen and we kneel to pray. This church is traditional. Believe it or not we actually believe the words of the Bible are the words of God.
What I want to do is become a Deaconess and be in service for Christ for the rest of my life. Now I’m a child of the women’s liberation movement and to become a Deaconess in a church where men are the ones in charge, and will be in charge over me, this shows the obedience I feel. My first 50 years were pleasure and self. These next fifty I pray will be service for Christ. Hopefully writing.




No comments:

Prayer List

  • Thank you Father thank you.
  • Lord, extend the kingdom of your Son.
  • O Merciful God, who hast made all men, and hatest nothing that thou hast made, nor desirest the death of a sinner, but rather that he should be converted and live; Have mercy upon all who know thee not as thou are revealed in the Gospel of thy Son. Take from them all ignorance, hardness of heart, and contempt of thy Word; and so fetch them home, blessed Lord to thy fold, that they may be one flock under one shepherd, Jesus Christ our Lord, who liveth and reigneth with thee and the Holy Spirit, one God, world without end. Amen.
  • God please take the blinders from my children's heart and eyes. Please give them the gift of faith. Lord God, faith in you is so comforting and brings so much joy. Thank you!
  • God please bless Michael, Lindsay, and their families with faith, wisdom, and compassion. In the name of our Lord Jesus Christ.
  • God thank you for the gift of my co-workers who have shown me that it is good to show that I am a Christian. It is more than okay, it is imperative that my faith shows, so that others can come to know you. Please make me into a shining light for you. Give me the words, and your wisdom, and please don't let me cause anyone to stumble.
  • God please be with my family/friends as they go through this time in their lives. Please give them strength and courage and wisdom and faith Lord.
  • God please guide the leaders of the world.
  • God please heal my children.
  • Please heal those that have asked for prayer.

Reading List

  • One Thousand Gifts ~ Ann Voskamp

woman

woman