On this day the Lord has made . . .

As I was driving home from the grocery store I heard a man on the radio ask what we were leaving our children/grandchildren. He mentioned how he would choose, over any amount of money, the writings from his grandfather . . . if he had left any.

So, I have determined to create a diary/journal of what happened to me on this day(s) the Lord has granted me.







Sunday, October 16, 2016

Sunday

Driving home and a yellow Lancer passes me. Someone had written "you're pretty" on the back window with little hearts. I smiled because, well, why wouldn't you smile reading something like that. As the yellow Lancer passes me it picks up the fall leaves and they are swept up in the cars wake. I was still smiling when we pulled up to a stop light. The car next to me was an ancient car of some unknown make that was beat up and faded black. There was an older balding man driving all hunched over. He pointed to the yellow Lancer's back window and the lady next to him looked over and smiled. He had to be in his 80's, I'm unsure of her age, all I could see was that she was probably near his age but still dyed her hair black. She had it swept up into a bun and she was wearing thick gold hoops with some sort of design etched into them. I felt that she was probably a beauty. I knew she was to him. So that little yellow Lancer (do they even still make those) and the two guys riding inside were spreading smiles and yellow leaves in their trip across town.

Church was tough and wonderful today. Our priest, Father Burgett, announced that he is gravely ill. We didn't skip a beat in our worship. I know that all of our prayers became so much clearer after the news. The church was stifling. I didn't even pretend to be able to stand up and sit down and kneel. It took all I had just to sit in the pew.

After church we always meet in the basement to break the fast and to catch up with each other. Funny how we act as if nothing has changed. We break off into our groups and we eat some wonderful food and we visit. All the while our hearts are so heavy. The wonderful news is that Arnold is okay. Last week I had overheard something about radiation treatment. I've bee praying for him all week. The great news is that the tests came back negative. So one of us has had their prayers answered. Now, please God, hear our prayers for Father Burgett. Please Lord Jesus heal him and keep him strong. I feel so guilty asking this because I know I am asking for selfish reasons. Father Burgett and Janie take such excellent care of us. And, when we are all worshiping together it feels as if we are in the throne room of God.

After church I stopped at C. Frogs to eat lunch. Such a nice place. So comfortable, so rich feeling, and such good food. I noticed that The Accountant was playing shortly. (Standees is a movie theater  in the same building as the restaurant.) So I ate my lunch and then moved next door. Such a good movie. To be honest I needed a break from reality. Dinner and a movie fit the bill perfectly.


No comments:

Prayer List

  • Thank you Father thank you.
  • Lord, extend the kingdom of your Son.
  • O Merciful God, who hast made all men, and hatest nothing that thou hast made, nor desirest the death of a sinner, but rather that he should be converted and live; Have mercy upon all who know thee not as thou are revealed in the Gospel of thy Son. Take from them all ignorance, hardness of heart, and contempt of thy Word; and so fetch them home, blessed Lord to thy fold, that they may be one flock under one shepherd, Jesus Christ our Lord, who liveth and reigneth with thee and the Holy Spirit, one God, world without end. Amen.
  • God please take the blinders from my children's heart and eyes. Please give them the gift of faith. Lord God, faith in you is so comforting and brings so much joy. Thank you!
  • God please bless Michael, Lindsay, and their families with faith, wisdom, and compassion. In the name of our Lord Jesus Christ.
  • God thank you for the gift of my co-workers who have shown me that it is good to show that I am a Christian. It is more than okay, it is imperative that my faith shows, so that others can come to know you. Please make me into a shining light for you. Give me the words, and your wisdom, and please don't let me cause anyone to stumble.
  • God please be with my family/friends as they go through this time in their lives. Please give them strength and courage and wisdom and faith Lord.
  • God please guide the leaders of the world.
  • God please heal my children.
  • Please heal those that have asked for prayer.

Reading List

  • One Thousand Gifts ~ Ann Voskamp

woman

woman